09 August 2005

Why I hate dinner parties

I haven't had much time to blog, as things have been quite busy at the Kwik-E-Mart lately. Three of the children have started walking, so it has been a bit mad at home, too. Yesterday, Nabendu, Poonam, Uma, Pria, Sandeep, Sashi, and Gheet all needed to be changed at the same time. I think they are somehow coordinating their bowel movements in such a way as to make my life a living hell.

Sometimes it can be quite lonely being the only Indian family in Springfield. The Shelbyville Indian community isn't much better. They are all quite snobbish, and always having such awful dinner parties. On Saturday Manjula and I had to go to one of them. Two of the couples at the party were fighting, so it was quite uncomfortable. Apparently, Rashmi told her friend Meena that Vimla's new drapes were the cheapest ones sold at J.C. Penney's. Then Vimla heard about Rashmi's drape comments from Meena and told her husband Raj, who went to Rashmi's house and yelled at her husband Anand. Now Rashmi and Vimla and Raj and Anand aren't talking to each other, and no one is talking to Meena. Yet everyone still insists on getting together and pretending to be impressed when their clumsy children perform the "Bole Chudiyan" dance.

Meena invited Manjula over for dinner next Friday, but I think I would rather be shot by Snake again than have to listen to Meena and her tone-deaf husband sing "Khabhi Khabhi" one more time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sadaf Trimarchi said...

What IS it with that song?? Every desi wedding I go to I can expect some tone deaf "uncle" to get up and start singing it like it's karoke hour.

Fun blog.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home